Yale College’s connections to the military are long-standing, and the admissions office welcomes inquiries and applications from veterans of the U.S. armed forces. A Yale education is especially affordable for veterans, who may choose to apply for Yale’s generous need-based financial aid or use veterans benefits. Yale participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. The office of undergraduate admissions automatically grants application fee waiver requests from candidates who are serving or have served in the U.S. military.
Watch below to hear from three members of Yale’s diverse undergraduate veteran community who share their stories of transitioning from the military to Yale College to pursue bachelor’s degrees.
Application options for veterans:
Review the Veterans Application Checklist to prepare an application through any of the above admissions programs.
Resources for veterans at Yale:
- Patricia Wei, Director of Veterans Outreach and Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions; contact with questions about admissions and the undergraduate experience.
- Jennifer VanBrederode, Veteran & Military Student Resource Coordinator; contact with questions about military benefits.
- Alyssa Corvi, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Financial Aid; contact with questions about Yale financial aid for veterans.
- Holly Hermes, University Liaison for Veteran and Military Affairs & USAF veteran; contact with questions about support for Yale veteran population including students, employees and alumni.
- Yale Military Benefits and Financial Aid
- Free Yale shuttle to West Haven VA Medical Center
Questions regarding Yale’s graduate programs or admissions should be directed to the admissions offices for the specific graduate or professional schools.
Service to School Podcast with Navy Veteran and Yale Alumna Hillary Browning
Hillary is an enlisted Navy veteran and first-generation college student in the Yale College Class of 2020. Hillary is currently a student at the Yale Law School. In this Service to School podcast episode, Hillary discusses the ups and downs of the college and law school admissions processes.
Service to School Podcast with Patricia Wei & Air Force Veteran Alec Buffi
Associate Director of Undergraduate Admissions Patricia Wei and third year Yale student veteran Alec Buffi discuss Yale's Eli Whitney Students Program as an alternative pathway to admissions for veterans, how the experience differs from a regular admissions pathway, what makes a strong application profile for EWSP, and how to determine the best path on the podcast Service to School Stories.