International Applicants for Freshman Admission

Is an English proficiency test required?

Yale requires that non-native English-speakers who have not taken at least two years of secondary education where English is the medium of instruction take any one of the following proficiency tests: TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge English, DET, or InitialView. For more information and competitive score ranges, review Applying to Yale as an International Student.

May I apply as a first-year if I have already started at another university?

You may apply as a first-year if you have completed less than one year at another university. If you have completed one year or more at another university (but no more than two years), you may apply as a transfer student.

Will I conduct an interview as part of the application process?

Maybe. We are not able to offer an interview to every applicant. An interview offer is not a signal regarding the status of your application. For more information about interviews for international applicants, please see the section on interviewing in Applying to Yale as an International Student.

If my school documents are in a language other than English will I need to send translated documents as well?

Yes. Official translations must accompany any documents that are not written in English.

Should I send photocopies of my certificates and awards?

No. Please simply list your awards and honors when completing your application. 

What should I do if I have a disability-related question regarding the application process?

Please contact Yale’s Student Accessibility Services at or 203-432-2324.

Will I receive course credit for my secondary school work?

Yale awards some advanced standing and/or acceleration credit for students who achieve high scores on certain advanced subject-based exams. These decisions are made on a case-by-case basis, and we cannot predict the amount of credit or acceleration you might receive before you gain admission to Yale. Please note that Yale does not award credit to entering freshmen for university coursework completed before matriculation.

What kind of extra or supplemental documents may I submit as part of my application?

If you have exceptional talent and a record of accomplishment in the areas of visual art, music, or science, you might consider submitting an appropriate sample of your work. If you are thinking about doing so, please read and closely follow the directions listed on our Supplementary Materials page. Please do not send certificates, 3D submissions, multiple extra recommendations, newspaper clippings, and other such additional documents.

How will I be able to check on the status of my application and receive my admissions decision?

After Yale receives and processes your application, you will receive an email prompting you to activate your Yale Admissions Status Portal. The Yale Admissions Status Portal will allow you to view an Application Checklist of all required material and, eventually, your admissions decision. You can also use the Status Portal to request a change of address, change of primary email, etc.

If I do not have a school counselor, who should complete my School Report?

A tutor, house master, principal, academic advisor, or another comparable school official can complete the form and recommendation.

What if my school does not use GPAs or class rank?

If you do not have a GPA or a rank, you and the school official completing the school report may simply leave the GPA and class rank spaces on the application blank. Yale admissions officers review transcripts holistically. You will not be at a disadvantage if your school does not provide GPA or rank.

May international students apply in the Early Action process?

Yes. International students may apply for Yale’s Single-Choice Early Action program.

Are international students eligible for financial aid? If so, how do I apply?

Yes, international students are eligible. Yale’s financial aid policies for foreign citizens are similar to those for U.S. citizens: need-blind admissions and need-based aid. “Need-blind” means that Yale College admits students on the basis of academic and personal promise, without regard to their ability to pay. “Need-based” means that financial aid packages are based on individual needs assessments. International students are evaluated using a needs analysis that takes into account the relative differences between the US economy and the economy of students’ home countries. You can find international financial aid forms on the Financial Aid website. If you have any questions or if your family has special circumstances or expenses, we encourage you to contact Student Financial Services.

I hold permanent residence or U.S. citizenship but live and attend school abroad. Is it better to apply as a U.S. student or as an international student?

There is no difference, and there is no decision you will need to make. You will report your citizenship(s) on your application, and the admissions office will consider your citizenship(s) along with your experience abroad in our holistic, context-based application review. Rest assured that it isn’t “better” or “worse” one way or the other. At Yale, because we offer need-blind need-based aid regardless of citizenship, the admissions process for all applicants is the same.

Are there admissions requirements specifically for students applying from abroad?

All students applying to Yale College use one of the following applications: the Coalition Application, the Common Application, or the QuestBridge National College Match Application. International students enrolled in an International Baccalaureate, A-Level, or other national exam-based curriculum should also submit predicted examination results. This information may be self-reported on the application and should also be included in the School Report from an administrator at your school.

Does Yale admit international transfer students?

Yes. Yale will consider transfer applications from international students who have not completed more than two years of a university degree program. International transfer students are eligible for financial aid on the same basis as any other student. 

If I am admitted to Yale, can I defer enrolling if I want to take a gap year or need to satisfy my military obligations?

Yes, you may defer your admission for up to two years (or for the length of your military obligation).

Are admissions officers familiar with the educational system in my country?

Yes. Our international team of officers is familiar with educational systems and credentials around the world. If you like, you are welcome to send additional information about the particularities of your country’s educational system.

Does Yale admit a fixed number of students from each country?

No. We seek to admit a diverse group of international students each year. The quantity and quality of applications from different countries will vary from year to year, and so will the admissions. We do not predetermine the number of candidates that we will admit from any particular country.

How does the visa process work?

If you are admitted and decide to enroll at Yale College, the visa process is very straightforward. Once you receive the I-20 form from us, you can apply for a visa appointment at your local U.S. embassy. 

Do I need to submit the Midyear Report and Final Report?

Only submit the Midyear Report if you receive new grades or term reports in the middle of the school year. Most international students do not need to send us this form. All admitted students must submit the Final Report, which provides us with final schools grades/exam marks/diploma when you finish secondary school. There is no need to complete the Final Report until after you gain admission to Yale.