QuestBridge & Yale. Affordable. For Everyone.
The QuestBridge application is a useful option for students from low-income backgrounds who are interested in applying to selective colleges that offer generous need-based financial aid. The QuestBridge National College Match Application includes questions that allow students from low-income households to discuss their backgrounds and unique circumstances. Students selected as QuestBridge Finalists can easily apply to multiple partner colleges with the same free application.
The QuestBridge National College Match Application is one of three ways to apply to Yale for freshman admission. Yale has no preference for one type of application over another. All applicants should submit one - and only one - application per admissions cycle.
Students who apply to Yale through QuestBridge submit the same required application materials as students who apply using the Common Application or the Coalition Application. Because students applying to Yale using the QuestBridge National College Match Application must first be selected as QuestBridge Finalists, the timeline for applying to Yale through QuestBridge is different than applying through single-choice early action or regular decision. See the information below to learn about the application steps, options, requirements, and timeline for students applying to Yale through QuestBridge.
Applying to Yale through QuestBridge
- QuestBridge Application Steps
- QuestBridge Application Options
- Additional Required Application Material for QuestBridge Finalists
- QuestBridge Application Timeline
- Frequently Asked Questions about Applying Through QuestBridge
QuestBridge Application Steps
Follow these steps to apply to Yale using the QuestBridge National College Match Application:
- Complete the free National College Match Application by the September deadline for evaluation by the QuestBridge organization.
- If selected as a QuestBridge Finalist in October, forward the QuestBridge National College Match Application to Yale and submit the additional required application material.
Students who apply to Yale using the QuestBridge National College Match Application should also submit the required financial aid documents to Student Financial Services by the appropriate deadline. Applicants may be contacted for an interview with a Yale graduate as part of the application process.
QuestBridge Application Options
If you are selected as a QuestBridge Finalist you have three options for sharing your QuestBridge National College Match Application with Yale. Yale has no preference for one option over another.
- Rank Yale as a college choice in the QuestBridge National College Match. The deadline for submitting rankings is mid-October.
- Opt out of the National College Match (i.e. do not rank any colleges) and share your QuestBridge Application with Yale for single-choice early action (deadline November 1). Note Yale’s single-choice early action policies.
- Share your QuestBridge Application with Yale for regular decision (deadline January 1).
Applicants who rank Yale as a college choice in the QuestBridge National College Match are considered for a “match” with Yale. Applicants who match are notified in early December with an offer of admission and a financial aid award with a $0 parent contribution. Unlike many other QuestBridge partner colleges, all admissions offers from Yale are non-binding. If a student is a match with Yale, she/he will have until May 1 to respond to the offer of admission and may still apply to other schools as a regular decision applicant.
Applicants who rank Yale but do not match with Yale are automatically moved into Yale’s regular decision application pool, unless the applicant matches with a binding partner college. Applications from students who match with binding partner colleges are automatically withdrawn. Students who match with non-binding partner colleges have the option to have their applications withdrawn or moved into Yale’s regular decision application pool. Applicants who remain in the regular decision application pool will need to submit the QuestBridge Midyear Report when first semester grades become available.
Additional Required Application Material for QuestBridge Finalists
Yale automatically receives the QuestBridge application materials of all QuestBridge Finalists who rank Yale or who share their QuestBridge application for single-choice early action or regular decision. Applicants must also submit the following materials online or by mail to the Yale admissions office by November 1 for consideration in the match or single-choice early action, or January 1 for regular decision.
- Official standardized test results including either the SAT or the ACT with Writing. Please review Yale’s policy on official scores.
- QuestBridge Midyear Report (due when first semester or trimester senior grades become available at your school.)
Please review Yale’s mail and fax instructions and information about application acknowledgment, Yale Admissions Status Portal, checklist, and admissions decisions
QuestBridge Finalists participating in the National College Match should also submit the following financial aid documents by November 1:
- Your parents’ 2015 federal income tax return (signed, with all schedules, attachments, W-2s, and other earnings statements). Include personal and corporate/partnership tax returns, if applicable. Send via fax to 203.436.9768.
- The 2017-2018 CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. Submit electronically. (Available Oct. 1)
If your parents are divorced or legally separated, your non-custodial parent should also submit his/her tax return, W-2s, and a copy of the Noncustodial PROFILE, available online when completing the CSS/PROFILE.
When submitting financial aid documents via fax, use the QuestBridge Yale University Cover Sheet and include the applicant’s full name, Yale Applicant ID Number, and “QuestBridge” on all pages.
QuestBridge finalists not participating in the National College Match should follow Yale’s standard instructions for applying for financial aid.
QuestBridge Application Timeline
September 27, 2016: Deadline to submit QuestBridge National College Match application to the QuestBridge organization
October 20, 2016: QuestBridge announces QuestBridge Finalists
November 1, 2016: Deadline for Finalists who rank Yale to submit additional required application material
November 1, 2016: Deadline for Finalists who are not participating in the National College Match to share their QuestBridge applications with Yale for single-choice early action
December 1, 2016: Matching Finalists notified
December 11, 2016: Non-matched Finalists moved into the regular decision applicant pool
December 15, 2016: Single-choice early action applicants notified; deferred applicants moved to regular decision
January 1, 2017: Deadline for Finalists who are not participating in the National College Match to share their QuestBridge application with Yale for regular decision
April 1, 2017: All Yale regular decision applicants notified
May 1, 2017: Response deadline for all admitted students
Note: The last date to take the ACT for consideration in the Match Program is September 10. The last date to take the SAT for consideration in the Match Program is October 1. Please include Yale’s ACT Code (No. 0618) or CEEB code (No. 3987) when you register for the tests.