New Haven, Connecticut is located in the heart of the Northeast Corridor, approximately 70 miles north of New York City and 150 miles south of Boston. Our small dense city of 130,000 includes a thriving downtown with parks, shops, museums, and restaurants, with easy access to beaches, hiking trails, and charming nearby towns.
For Directions to the Yale Visitor Center, 149 Elm Street, visit visitorcenter.yale.edu/directions
Driving Directions to the Office of Undergaduate Admissions, 38 Hillhouse Ave
From Interstate 95
Turn off Interstate 95 at the I-91 North (Hartford-Springfield) exit and continue for a short distance. Take exit 3 (Trumbull Street). Follow the Interstate 91 directions below.
From Interstate 91
Take exit 3 (Trumbull Street). Stay in the middle lane and continue straight on Trumbull Street. At the fourth traffic light (including the light at the end of the exit ramp), turn right onto Hillhouse Avenue. The admissions office at 38 Hillhouse Avenue will be the fourth building on your left.
From Route 15 (Wilbur Cross/Merritt Parkways)
• From the north: Take exit 61. Drive south on Whitney Avenue for about five miles. Shortly after passing Sachem Street on your right, the road will split. Stay to the right. You are now on Temple Street. Take an immediate right onto Trumbull Street and the next right onto Hillhouse Avenue. The admissions office at 38 Hillhouse Avenue will be the fourth building on your left.
• From the south: Take the Merritt Parkway to the I-95 exit. Follow the Interstate 95 directions above.
Due to our location in an urban environment, we cannot guarantee available parking near Undergraduate Admissions. We recommend leaving ample time (15-20 minutes) before your scheduled events to find parking.
On-street metered parking is available in front of the Office of Undergraduate Admissions on Hillhouse Avenue or one block north on Sachem Street. Meters take quarters, major credit cards, or payment through the Parkmobile App and have enforced time limits ($1.50/hour). Please be aware of the posted signage, as some locations prohibit on-street parking during certain hours.
Off-street parking is also available nearby. The Grove Street Garage (65 Grove Street) and Audubon Court Garage (78 Audubon Street) are private parking garages located within walking distance of Undergraduate Admissions.
By Train or Bus
Union Station is minutes from the Yale campus. Metro-North offers frequent train service between New Haven and New York City. Amtrak provides train service to New Haven from Vermont, Providence, and Boston to the north, and from Washington, D.C., to the south, at prices that are competitive with air travel. Union Station is also a Greyhound (203.772.2470) bus terminal. Once you reach Union Station, we suggest that you use a local taxi service to reach the Yale campus. (There’s a taxi stand at the station.) A taxi will cost about $10. Local shuttle and bus services are also available for travel between Union Station and Yale.
- Hartford/Springfield Bradley International Airport (BDL), 53 miles from campus in Windsor Locks, CT
- LaGuardia International Airport (LGA), 72 miles from campus in New York City, NY
- Kennedy International Airport (JFK), 80 miles from campus in New York City, NY
- Newark International Airport (EWR), 92 miles from campus in Newark, NJ
Amtrak provides direct train service from Newark airport to New Haven’s Union Station. For all other airports, taxis, rental cars, and ride-sharing services are available. GO Airport Shuttle (866.284.3247) offers private shuttle services. Reservations are strongly recommended. Tweed-New Haven Airport (HVN) is four miles from campus, but does not currently offer commercial service.
Hotels & Restaurants
New Haven has several fine hotels and many outstanding restaurants. Hotels located on or around campus include: