International Transfer Applicants

If you are applying to transfer from a university outside the United States, the application procedure and timetable are essentially the same as for candidates applying from schools in the United States. International students must submit the results of the SAT or the ACT. Only students whose home countries do not have a testing center are exempt. Those students may submit results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) instead but are not required to do so. If you are now studying in the U.S., you are required to take the SAT or the ACT. See the “Standardized Testing For Transfer Applicants” section for more information.

Candidates should be certain to have official copies of any external examination results (GCSEs or O-level equivalents, A-levels, IB, and so on) sent directly from the agencies that issued them to Undergraduate Admissions. (Copies sent directly from the secondary school are also considered official.)

If school transcripts are written in a language other than English, they should be accompanied by an official translation. The same holds true for supporting documents such as the required letters of recommendation.

Testing for Non-Native English Speakers

Students at Yale must be able to express themselves fluently in spoken and written American English.  If you are not a native English speaker and you haven’t received at least two years of secondary or post-secondary education in an English-medium curriculum, Yale strongly recommends that you take any one of the following tests for non-native English speakers.

Financial Aid for International Students

Yale extends its need-blind admissions policy to international students to ensure the College is accessible to all candidates from any part of the world. This policy means that an application for financial aid will have no bearing on the Admissions Committee’s decisions, and Yale will meet the full demonstrated need of any candidate admitted. The student’s family will be expected to contribute funds to the extent that it can, and the student must make sure that these funds can be withdrawn from his or her country.

Non-Canadian international students who wish to apply for financial aid can do so by submitting the CSS International Student Financial Aid Application along with copies of parent tax returns or employer earning statements. Forms are available on the Undergraduate Financial Aid website.