Non-Degree Students Program

How much is the application fee?

The fee is $80, payable online through the application portal.

What if I can't remember my standardized test scores?

Your high school transcript may include standardized test results. You might also ask the College Board (for SAT tests) or ACT, Inc. (for ACT tests) to send the results. For more information regarding SATs, please visit the College Board website or call (866) 756-7346. If you are calling from outside the United States, call the College Board at (212) 713-7789. You can visit the ACT website, and you may reach ACT by telephone at (319) 337-1000. 

May I audit courses at Yale? What is the procedure?

Only students enrolled full-time in Yale College or in one of the graduate or professional schools; members of the Yale faculty and their spouses; Yale employees and their spouses; and Yale graduates and their spouses may audit courses. For more information on how to audit and who is eligible to audit courses at Yale, visit the Yale College website.

Is there a deadline for applying to the Non-Degree Students Program?

Yes.  The application deadlines for non-degree candidates are May 1 for the fall term, and October 1 for the spring term. 

What should I do if I have a disability-related question regarding the application process?

Please contact Yale’s Student Accessibility Services at or 203-432-2324.

Can Yale help me with my visa and other issues?

Yes. The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) can assist you and will issue the I-20 form that you will use to apply for an F-1 visa. Like all international students at Yale, you must consult with OISS. You can reach them at: Office of International Students and Scholars, 421 Temple Street, New Haven, CT 06511, (203) 432-2305,

What visa status will I need in order to enroll as a non-degree student at Yale?

Once you are admitted to the Non-Degree Students Program, you will need to hold and maintain F-1 student visa status. To do that, you must be a full-time student at all times, which means you will need to take at least three courses each semester. If your visa is tourist status (B1/B2 or visa waiver status), you cannot enroll at Yale.

I am an international student applying to the Non-Degree Students Program, and English is not my native language. Is there an English language requirement I need to fulfill?

If your first language is not English, you may need to demonstrate your English language proficiency. For more information on how to do that, please visit our International Non-Degree Students page.

What if I attended Yale College but did not graduate, and now wish to complete my degree?

The normal procedure is to apply through the Yale College Dean’s Office for re-admission. This path requires you to attend as a full-time student and allows you to live in campus housing. If you have been out of Yale for over five years and still need at least eighteen course credits to graduate, you may instead apply to the Eli Whitney Students Program. Coming back to Yale as an Eli Whitney student gives you the option of finishing your degree on either a part- or full-time basis. On the other hand, as an Eli Whitney student you will not be able to live in campus housing. Please note that Eli Whitney students must take a minimum of eighteen term course credits at Yale to qualify for a degree.

I’m a Yale graduate. Are there special procedures for applying to the Non-Degree Students Program for alumni?

Yale alumni who wish to apply to the Non-Degree Students Program must follow the same application procedures as all other applicants.  Yale alumni or their spouses who wish to audit classes (not for credit) may apply to the Yale Alumni Auditing Program.

Can I take summer courses at Yale?

Yes. Non-degree students must make a separate application to the Yale Summer Session. Please visit the Yale Summer Session website.

May non-degree students take courses at Yale's graduate or professional schools?

No, unless the graduate or professional school course is cross-registered in the Yale College Programs of Study. If you wish to take graduate courses on a part-time schedule and with non-degree status, please contact the Division of Special Registration at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, located at 320 York Street, New Haven, CT. You can reach them by telephone at (203) 432-2771.

If I gain admission, may I take any of the courses listed in the Yale College Programs of Study?

Yes. But if a course has limited enrollment, full-time undergraduates and other students in Yale degree programs have first priority. As a result, small seminars and art, film, music, photography, and theater studies courses are seldom available to non-degree students.

If I am denied admission, may I reapply?

Yes, but you must submit a new application for admission in a subsequent year. You will also need to submit a new application fee. You do not need to resubmit your transcripts; we hold them on file. If you apply three times without success, we will not consider any further applications from you.

If I gain admission to the Non-Degree Students Program, may I defer my enrollment?

For the most part, no. Yale rarely allows non-degree students to postpone matriculation, but we will consider a request if there are exceptional circumstances.

Is an interview encouraged? Is it required?

No. Yale neither offers nor requires interviews for applicants to the Non-Degree Students Program. But if you have special circumstances or questions and need advice, feel free to send an email to

I have not attended school for quite a while. What do I do about "academic recommendations?"

It is best if at least two of your three recommendations come from teachers or professors who recently taught you in academic subjects. If you have not attended school for a number of years, you may ask employers, colleagues, or other individuals who know you well to write your recommendations. You should consider enrolling in some demanding college courses before you apply to Yale. Your success in those courses will help you demonstrate your academic ability and enable you to obtain the strong academic recommendations that Yale prefers.

I am a full-time undergraduate at another college. Can I spend a semester or a year at Yale as a visiting non-degree student?

Yes, absolutely. It will be up to you to arrange for housing and financial assistance and to obtain the approval of your present college for the credits you earn here.

Do I need to send scores for standardized tests I have taken?

In most cases, Yale will need to see your scores for the SAT Reasoning or ACT test. In addition to those scores, you may also send your scores on other standardized tests if you wish.