Transfer Application Instructions

If you would like to apply for entrance in the fall semester, please submit your application online using the Common Application on or before March 1. You will need to create a Common Application account and select Yale as one of the colleges to which you plan to apply so that your Common Application will include Yale-specific questions.

Required Application Materials:

General Instructions

Use your full legal name on all admissions documents, including transcripts, recommendations, the College Report, standardized test results, etc. Yale will file your application under the full legal name that you provide on your Common Application. It is important to use the same name and the same format on all materials. Your record and test scores will not be linked in the database if the names do not match.

Most documents can be submitted online via the Common Application. High school and college transcripts, the College Report and the Transfer Mid-Term Report should be mailed to the Admissions Office. Scroll down to the Mailing Instructions section at the bottom of this page for the address.

To confirm the receipt of an application, please login to the Common Application website. From here you can confirm successful submission of the Transfer Common Application and Payment or Fee Waiver Request to Yale. For more information, please visit our FAQ section. Please use one email address throughout the application cycle. If your email address changes, contact as soon as possible.

If you wish to request financial aid, please visit our Financial Aid page.

Common Application with Yale-Specific Questions

Please apply to Yale online using the Common Application’s Transfer Application. Be sure to select Yale as one of the colleges to which you plan to apply so as to ensure that Yale-specific questions will be included. The Common Application gives you the opportunity to tell us why you wish to transfer and to let us know more about your background and interests. The Yale-specific questions in the Common Application will help the Admissions Committee understand you and the ways in which Yale College might enable you to achieve your academic and personal goals.

$80 Application Fee or Fee Waiver Request

Applicants should pay the $80 application fee by credit card, debit card, electronic check, or PayPal via the payments form on the Common Application website. The Common Application website requires that you pay your fee online using one of the methods provided. You may not submit a personal check or money order to pay an application fee.

You may request that your application fee be waived. Qualifications for a fee waiver are as follows:

  • You have received or are eligible to receive an ACT or SAT testing fee waiver.
  • You are enrolled in or eligible to participate in the Federal Free or Reduced Price Lunch program (FRPL).
  • Your annual family income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines set by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service.
  • You are enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that aids students from low-income families (e.g., TRIO programs such as Upward Bound).
  • Your family receives public assistance.
  • You live in a federally subsidized public housing, a foster home or are homeless.
  • You are a ward of the state or an orphan.
  • You can provide a supporting statement from a school official, college access counselor, financial aid officer, or community leader.

If you feel that your college application and financial aid application fees present a severe hardship for your family, but you are not sure if you meet the Common Application’s qualifications as outlined above, please consider the final bullet point carefully. Is there an adult in your community (a teacher, counselor, clergy member, administrator, town official, QuestBridge staff member, EducationUSA staff member, etc.) who could attest to your family’s economic situation and your need for a fee waiver? If the answer is yes, please do not hesitate to request a fee waiver. You will not need to submit supporting documentation, unless specifically asked to do so. Please read more about the guidelines that Yale has historically used to determine if students qualify for fee waivers on our Fee Waiver page. The fee waiver qualification scale is based on family size and income in US dollars, but is applicable to all international students as well as US residents.

College Report

Please download and print The College Report from the Common Application website. The Report should be completed by a college official who has access to your full academic and disciplinary record, such as your Dean, Adviser or Registrar. The college official should send the completed form to the mailing address noted at the bottom of this page.

Official College Transcripts

Please ask the Registrar of your present college or university (and the Registrars of any previous colleges) to send us an official transcript of your college record. The transcript from your current college should be mailed after fall term grades or fall and winter quarter grades are recorded. The Admissions Office requires that you send official transcripts from every college/university you have attended. Transfer applicants who gain admission or are on the waiting list must also submit spring term transcripts.

Academic Evaluations for Transfers

Ask two of your college professors (or teaching assistants) to write Academic Evaluations. These recommendations should be submitted electronically through the Common Application website. You will use the “Assign Recommenders” feature on the Common Application site to send emails to your professors, which will include a link and instructions for submitting their recommendations online. You may not use recommendations from secondary school teachers in lieu of recommendations from college faculty.

Official Final High School Transcript

Please contact the high school from which you graduated and request that an official final transcript be mailed to the Yale Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Standardized Testing

You must submit official results from either the SAT Reasoning Test or the ACT Plus Writing. Please review the Standardized Testing for Transfer Applicants for more information. For SATs taken in March 2016 or later, the additional essay is required.

Transfer Mid-Term Report

The Mid-Term Report is due when your professors have some progress grades for you, usually in March or early April.


Yale does not offer evaluative interviews for transfer applicants.

Submitting Transcripts and Other Documents

High schools and colleges should mail official transcripts to the addresses noted in the Mailing Instructions below. You should also mail the completed College Report and the Transfer Mid-Term Report to the Admissions Office. Other documents should be submitted online via the Common Application. If you wish to submit supplementary materials for art, music, film or academic work, please view our detailed instructions on submitting supplementary materials.

Mailing Instructions

If you must mail or fax a document, please write “Transfer Admissions” on the envelope or cover sheet to speed the filing process.

For materials sent via the U.S. Postal Service, use this address:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Yale University
P.O. Box 208234
New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8234

For materials sent via FedEX, UPS, TNT, DHL, or other private delivery services, please use this street address:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Yale University
38 Hillhouse Avenue
New Haven, Connecticut 06511

The fax number for application materials is (203) 436-9775.